Equine Guelph’s Top Tips for Finding your Perfect Equine Partner
A retired racehorse may be a great choice for an experienced eventer, but is not the right fit for everyone. How do you find your perfect match?
Great partners make one another shine. You look forward to spending time together and you bring out the best in one another. There is a bond and communication that transcends words. Finding that great partner is most often the result of building a great team around you.
Jessica Phoenix knows what it takes to find those great partners and has some wonderful success stories providing racehorses with second careers as eventers. In fact, she got her start partnering with off-track thoroughbreds.
A retired racehorse may be a great choice for an experienced eventer but is not the right fit for everyone. Below are just a few of our top tips for finding your perfect match.
Top 5 tips on partnering up:
- Know the costs – check out this sample chart from Equine Guelph.
- Seek professional help – Enlisting a coach or pro that understands your skill level can be invaluable helping you partner up and they can help you avoid emotional mistakes. Also, seek the help of someone who knows legal contracts (which should always accompany a sale, lease or part-board agreement).
- Know your goals – can the horse perform the tasks you would like to achieve?
- Don’t skip the veterinary pre-purchase exam! (if you are to become the new owner, even if you are getting the horse for free)
- Educate yourself– even if you plan to board your horse, you will be the main advocate for your partner, and it is your responsibility to be knowledgeable in equine care, management and welfare. Sign up for online courses at EquineGuelph.ca. Equine Guelph has many courses specializing in the welfare of horses including: Equine Welfare Certificate, 12-week online course and Horse Care & Welfare short course next offered Oct 19 – 30, 2020 on TheHorsePortal.ca
Our friends at Horse Sport posted a very helpful article loaded with shopping tips.
How did you find your equine partner? Let us know for a chance to win!
We want to hear from you – send us your story and a photo of you with your horse before Feb 29 and we will enter you in a draw to win one enrollment in our April 6th online short course: Horse Behaviour and Safety for Youth (13 – 18). If you are over 18 this prize is transferable and can be used as a gift.
By sending your submission to email@example.com you agree to let Equine Guelph post your image and story on our website, in our e-communications and on our social media channels.
We wish you all, health, happiness and horses!