Top Eventers Entered for 2019 Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event
A list of 54 horse-and-rider combinations from 8 nations are entered in the Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event at the Kentucky Horse Park, April 25-28.
By: Classic Communications |
Entry List includes 5 Canadians
Defending champion Oliver Townend of Great Britain and “Cooley Master Class” head a list of 54 horse-and-rider combinations representing eight nations entered for the 41st annual Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event Presented by MARS EQUESTRIAN, which returns to the Kentucky Horse Park, April 25-28, 2019.
Known as “The Best Weekend All Year,” the Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event Presented by MARS EQUESTRIAN (LRK3DE) is a thrilling multi-day competition featuring Olympic-level riders and horses from across the nation and around the world in what can best be described as an equestrian triathlon. Riders compete for $400,000 prize money and a shot at the $350,000 Rolex Grand Slam of Eventing, which is awarded to any rider who wins the LRK3DE, Mitsubishi Motors Badminton, and Land Rover Burghley Five Star Events in succession. Only two riders (Pippa Funnel of Great Britain in 2003 and Michael Jung of Germany in 2016) have ever accomplished this feat in the 19-year history of the Grand Slam.
LRK3DE recently received the new Five Star status from the FEI (International Equestrian Federation) after having been a Four Star event since 1998. As of January 1, 2019, the Kentucky event is now one of only six annual Five Star three-day events in the world along with Badminton and Burghley in England; Luhmuhlen in Germany; Pau in France; and Adelaide in Australia. LRK3DE is the only annual Five Star event in the Americas and as the United States’ premier event, it also serves as the Land Rover/USEF CCI-5*-L Eventing National Championship Presented by MARS EQUESTRIAN for the U.S. athletes.
Last year’s winners, Oliver Townend of Great Britain and “Cooley Master Class,” are returning to defend their title. A three-time European Championship gold medalist, Townend is ranked number one on the FEI World Eventing Rider Rankings and has been Great Britain’s leading event rider for the past five years. He will be joined by countrymen Piggy French and “Quarrycrest Echo”, team gold medalists at the 2018 FEI World Equestrian Games™ (WEG), and Olympic gold and silver medalist Leslie Law and his mount, “Voltaire de Tre'”.
Other top names entered include New Zealand Olympic veterans Joe Meyer and Tim Price. Price is currently ranked third in the World Rankings and he will be looking to keep his Rolex Grand Slam hopes alive after winning Burghley last year. Also on the list are two-time Canadian Olympic veterans Hawley Bennett-Awad and Jessica Phoenix, who is also a Pan American Games gold, silver and bronze medalist and a WEG veteran.
Several U.S. Olympic veterans are entered including Phillip Dutton, Boyd Martin, Lauren Kieffer, William Coleman and Mara Depuy. Dutton, who was the last American rider to win the LRK3DE in 2008, has entered his 2018 WEG mount “Z,” while Martin has also entered his 2018 WEG mount “Tsetserleg,” as well as two other horses. Other top U.S. riders include Buck Davidson, Will Faudree, Elisabeth Halliday-Sharp, Caroline Martin, and Lynn Symansky to name a few.
“We can’t wait to welcome so many of the world’s top eventing riders and horses back to the Kentucky Horse Park,” said Lee Carter, executive director of Equestrian Events, Inc. (EEI), organizer of the Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event Presented by MARS Equestrian. “This year’s event will be captivating to say the least, and we can’t wait to see who will take center stage in the winner’s circle after the final phase!”
The list of world-class riders entered to compete in the 2019 Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event Presented by MARS EQUESTRIAN includes:
- Phillip Dutton (USA), a six-time Olympic veteran with two team Gold medals (2000, 1996) for his native Australia, a team Bronze (2004) and individual Bronze (2016) for the U.S.A. He’s a seven-time WEG veteran (2018, 2014, 2010, 2006, 2002, 1998, 1994), the 2008 Kentucky Champion, as well as a two-time Pan American Games team Gold medalist (2015, 2007) and individual Silver medalist (2007). He’s also won the USEF CCI4* National Championship title a record five times.
- Boyd Martin (USA), a 2012 and 2016 Olympic veteran and three-time WEG competitor (2018, 2014, 2010). Team Gold medalist at the 2015 Pan American Games.
- Lauren Kieffer (USA), Olympic veteran (2016), team Gold medalist at the 2015 Pan American Games. Winner of the USEF Four Star Championship at Kentucky (2014, 2016).
- William Coleman (USA), 2012 Olympic veteran, 2018 WEG veteran.
- Buck Davidson (USA), two-time WEG veteran (2014, 2010), two-time U.S. Olympic Team Alternate (2012, 2008) and winner of the USEF Four Star Championship at Kentucky (2013).
- Clayton Fredericks (Australia), two-time Olympic veteran (2012, 2008) who won team Silver in 2008; Individual Silver and team Bronze medalist at 2006 WEG, two-time World Cup Champion (2008, 2005)
- Marcelo Tosi (Brazil), two-time Olympic veteran (2012, 2008) and three-time WEG veteran (2018, 2014, 1998)
- Daniela Moguel (Mexico), 2018 WEG veteran and 2015 Pan American Games veteran.
- The full list of entries is available on line at the Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event website here.
The Dubarry of Ireland Nations Team Challenge will be featured again this year, awarding $20,000 in prize money to the winning nation.The exciting second annual $225,000 Kentucky CSI3* Invitational Grand Prix presented by Hagyard Equine Medical Institute will take place on Saturday afternoon, April 27, after the cross-country portion of the LRK3DE. Stadium seating tickets for the Grand Prix are only $5 each – with $1 going to Land Rover Kentucky’s 2019 Official Charity, Bluegrass Land Conservancy. As part of the competition there will also be a $36,000 Welcome Speed Cup Ranking Class on Friday in the Rolex Stadium, after the day’s LRK3DE dressage competition. No stadium seat ticket is required for Friday’s Ranking Class. Grand Prix tickets are available here.
Tickets to the 2019 Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event Presented by MARS EQUESTRIAN are available here. All grounds admission tickets to the LRK3DE include general parking and admission to the Kentucky Horse Park and International Trade Fair, but do not include seats for the competition in Rolex Stadium. Reserved stadium seating is sold separately from grounds admission. Traditionally the best seats sell out, so everyone is encouraged to place orders as early as possible. For a unique world-class Kentucky experience, special Ringside Hospitality packages are also available.
Further information on the Land Rover Kentucky Three-Day Event Presented by MARS EQUESTRIAN is available at www.KentuckyThreeDayEvent.com.