The opening event at the International Bromont ended with an excellent performance from Irish riders, who took 4 of the 5 top places of the 44 horse and rider pairs participating.
FEI4* American course designer Anthony d’Ambrosio set up a course that had 12 obstacles for 14 efforts, including two double combinations. The course, featuring broken lines and tight turns, required control and attention as well as precision from the riders.
In addition, the time allowed of 71 seconds in the first round presented an additional difficulty, as nearly half the participants were unable to execute their round within the set time.
Seventeen riders successfully qualified for the jump-off with 16 finally taking part. The time to beat was established by Christine McCrea, on her mount Jasmin, with a double clear in 43.35 seconds. However, American rider Andrew Kocher was the one who overtook her on Kahlua stopping the clock at 39.10 seconds. Irishman Conor Swail, on Domino van de Valhoeve, gets close to the time, but not close enough, with 39.73 seconds, and they are top 2 in the standing.
Captain Brian Cournane comes out in the ring with Armik, a 9-year-old Oldenburg gelding (Armitage x Rikina II) and goes all-in and finishes in a time of almost one second ahead of Kocher, thus taking the lead and winning the class.
All riders and their mounts are qualified for the Quebec Orignial Grand Prix that will take place at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, July 29. The event will follow the always-popular Canine-Equine Challenge planned for around 11 a.m.
CSI3* FEI Open Welcome presented by Ville de Bromont
1. Brian Cournane (IRL) / Armik 0-0, 38.29
2. Andrew Kocher (USA) / Kahlua 0-0, 39.10
3. Cormac Hanley (IRL) / Alma Z 0-0, 39.73
4. Conor Swail (IRL) / Domino Van de valhoeve 0-0, 39.82
5. Michael Hutchinson (IRL) / Catango 0-0, 41.38
6. Catherine Tyree (USA) / Bokai 0-0, 42.06
7. Cormac Hanley (IRL) / VDL Cartello 0-0. 42.18
8. Jonathan McCrea (USA) / Win for Life 0-0, 42.24
9. Vanessa Mannix (CAN) / Catinka 25 0-0, 42.95
10. Christine McCrea (USA) / Jasmijn 0-0, 43.24