BREEDERS’ STAKES PROBABLES
• First run in 1889, the older-than-dust BREEDERS’ STAKES is always a cool race to watch and bet on, even if there is no Triple Crown winner to yell for. The race often brings some upsets, especially if the grass is soft.
Daily Racing From’s BILL TALLON reports on the latest workouts for the contenders:
THE LIKELY FIELD
EYE OF THE LEOPARD (A.P. Indy) Sam-Son Plate winner
FULL THROTTLE (Dixie Union) Gus Schickdanz maiden
GUIPAGO (My Way Only) Fieldstone maiden winner on turf
HISAKI (Compadre) Fieldstone stakes placed maiden on turf
KEINO WEST (Kissin Kris) Track West unplaced Plate/Wales
MENSCH (Compadre) Fieldstone 2nd Guipago, maiden
MR. FORICOS TWO U (Porto Foricos) 2nd Plate
PARABOLA (Trajectory) turf allowance winner
RESERVOIR (Sky Classic) turf winner
GENIUS KINSHASA (Kinshasa) turf winner
PERFECT SHOWER (Perfect Soul) maiden winner
– Ron Delmas’ Fieldstone Farms only recently got its first win of the season but has a three-pronged set of 3yos for the Breeders including 2 maidens. The one thing about this farm’s runners – they tend to love long distances and turf. Two of them are by Compadre, his ace turf stallion.
– Roger Attfield has won 7 Breeders’, a record.
– Maidens winning the Breeders’. Impossible to research on this time schedule but there has not been one in several decades.
– KEINO WEST has been a trooper to hang out in the Triple Crown races while not really threatening, But Kissin Kris onto a Crown Attorney mare? Hmmmm, lots of grass breeding there.
KEINO WEST could come to life on the grass for owner Dave Clancy. www.horse-races.net photo.
AAAAH, THE SPA
– Woodbine horse starts off card
The summer Saratoga meeting starts today and who will be the first horse on the track when race 1 is led onto the track? None other than COME ON LOVE, from Woodbine for Clint Singh, 38, the owner/trainer/exercise rider of the Wild Wonder gelding.
The 4yo won his most recent race at 7 furlongs on the Woodbine turf for $37,500 claiming. Today he starts in a starter allowance at 1 1/16 miles on the Spa turf. Edgar prado rides and they are 8 to 1 in the morning line.
WOODBINE ON THE SCORE TONIGHT
– It’s warm and wet for racing tonight at Woodbine, the grass has been very soggy and is not likely to be used tonight. Get your picks in for the super contest put on by Woodbine and The Score.
Only at theScore.123racing
Tonight’s feature is the 2nd race, a first level allowance for fillies and mares that is scheduled for the grass. Favoured there is EMERALD BEECH from the Augustin Stables and trainer Mac Benson.
FEARLESS COWBOY SOLD
– Recent Woodbine 2yo stakes winner FEARLESS COWBOY is off to America as he was sold by Gulf Coast Racing and trainer Sandra Dominguez to David Lanzman and Jeff Singer.
According to the THOROUGHBRED TIMES, they plan to start the El Corredor colt in the Saratoga Special Stakes (G2) on August 20 with new trainer Kiaran McLaughlin.
Fearless Cowboy won the six-furlong Colin Stakes (video) by a neck on July 18 at Woodbine for trainer Sandra Dominguez and owner-breeder Gulf Coast Farms, owned by Lance Robinson and Jerry Bailey of Florida.
CANADIANS HEAD TO WEST VIRGINIA
– All week, Thoroughblog has brought you stories from West Virginia and parts close by on the upcoming $750,000 WEST VIRGINIA DERBY, featuring Kentucky Derby winner MINE THAT BIRD and two of his rivals, Woodbine based colts AWESOME RHYTHM and MONTY’S BEST.
Did you know that AWESOME RHYTHM has already beaten MINE THAT BIRD?
WEST VIRGINIA DERBY-GII, $750,000, 3yo, 1 1/8m
PP HORSE SIRE JOCKEY WT
1 Soul Warrior Lion Heart Mena 111
2 Mine That Bird Birdstone Smith 122
3 Awesome Rhythm Toccet McAleney 113
4 Sunday Sunrise Lemon Drop Kid Lanerie 111
5 Big Drama Montbrook Coa 111
6 Monty’s Best Montbrook Da Silva 113
MINE THAT BIRD is at Mountaineer on Saturday for the ‘Derby’…what does Woodbine’s MONTY’S BEST think of that rival? See below.
(Cindy Pierson Dulay photo)
BBBBBTTTTTT! – I can beat you! Monty’s Best is confident that he and his jock Eurico Rosa Da Silva can beat the Derby champ. Rebecca Mottin photo.
read more from the Wheeling Review’s Bill Mooney:
Awesome Rhythm will have many supporters at Derby
By Bill Mooney Special to The Review
As racehorses go, Awesome Rhythm is one interesting dude. For starters, he’s coming to this Saturday’s Grade 2, $750,000 West Virginia Derby with a trio of black-type scores already on his resume. All were achieved at his home track of Woodbine, which is on the outskirts of Toronto, Canada. The first came by four lengths in the $100,000 Wando Stakes on April 25 of this year. In that race, Awesome Rhythm exited the starting gate at odds of nearly 12-1. The second came by 2 lengths in the $150,000 Marine Stakes on May 16. In that one, Awesome Rhythm went off as the 9-5 favorite. And his third stakes score came by a widening 8 lengths in the $150,000 Victoria Park on June 7 a race in which Awesome Rhythm was the prohibitive betting choice at odds of 2-5.
SUSSEX STAKES TODAY AT GOODWOOD
Filly Ghanaati is a favourite
Wednesday, Goodwood, Britain, post time: 3:25 p.m.
BGC SUSSEX S.-G1, ,300,000, 3yo/up, 1mT
SC PP HORSE SIRE TRAINER WT
1 3 Beacon Lodge (Ire) Clodovil (Ire) Cox 133
2 8 Forgotten Voice (Ire) Danehill Dancer (Ire) Noseda 133
3 1 Mias Boy (GB) Pivotal (GB) Dwyer 133
4 7 Paco Boy (Ire) Desert Style (Ire) Hannon 133
5 6 Lord Shanakill Speightstown A Jarvis 125
6 4 Malibu Bay El Prado (Ire) A O=Brien125
7 2 Rip Van Winkle (Ire) Galileo (Ire) A O=Brien125
8 5 Ghanaati Giant’s Causeway B Hills 122
9 9 Lahaleeb (Ire) Redback (GB) Channon 122
Woodbine based Lady Shakespeare in action on Friday…
LAKE GEORGE S.-GIII, $150,000, 3yo, f, 1 1/16mT
PP HORSE SIRE JOCKEY WT
1 Lady Shakespeare Theatrical (Ire) Desormeaux 116
2 Be Fair Exchange Rate Maragh 116
3 Mary’s Follies More Than Ready Dominguez 122
4 Keertana Johar Lezcano 122
5 Consequence El Prado (Ire) Velazquez 120
6 Miss Keller (Ire) Montjeu (Ire) Castellano 120
7 Strike the Bell Mizzen Mast Velasquez 116
8 The Best Day Ever Brahms Albarado 116
9 Kiawah Cat Lemon Drop Kid Leparoux 116
MTO Ain’t Love Grand Dixie Union Velasquez 116
CANADIAN OWNED CATEGORY SEVEN BLOWS THROUGH ANOTHER WIN
– James Perron Racing Stable’s CATEGORY SEVEN, who has not raced at Woodbine in some time but instead has found a home in Louisiana, won her 6th race in 9 starts in 2009 when she took the $50,000 MATRON STAKES at Evangeline Downs last weekend.
The Perron family race at Woodbine and James Jr. works in the Woodbine racing office.
DAILY RACING FORM REPORT:
by Jeff Taylor
OPELOUSAS, La. – Category Seven stalked the early pace under clever handling from Richard Eramia before rallying down the stretch to capture the $50,000 Matron Stakes Saturday night at Evangeline Downs by 1 1/4 lengths. Ruling Class, who pressured the leader before taking control in the second turn of the mile turf event for fillies and mares, could not match strides with the winner late and had to settle for second, and was followed by Dancin Perfect and 7-5 favorite Pleasantly Blessed. Martin’s Bay and Nine M. M. were late scratches.
Trained by Kenneth Hargrave for James Peron Racing Stable, Category Seven ($9) won for the sixth time this year from nine starts. Overall, the 4-year-old Gulf Storm filly has seven wins from 26 starts. Category Seven has been a different horse since moving to the grass late last year.
CARA BLOODSTOCK ON THE WEB
– Bernard McCormack’s CARA BLOODSTOCK unveiled a handsome web site recently featuring its services, stories and other insights.
Also, Cara Bloodstock Sales Agency will offer 54 yearlings at the CTHS Ontario Select and Open Sessions of the annual sale to be held at Woodbine on September 8th and 12th 2009.
Select Sires represented in the consignment include: CHAPLE ROYAL, EUROSILVER, FLOWER ALLEY, GRAEME HALL, GOOD REWARD, MUTAKDDIM, NORTHERN AFLEET, ROCKPORT HARBOR,PLEASANT TAP, TOCCET, VALUE PLUS and YANKEE GENTLEMAN.
Top Ontario Sires in the Select session include first Ontario yearlings by BEST OF THE BESTS (IRE), NIIGON, OLD FORESTER and PHLANTHROPIST.