Addressing safety has been a hallmark of racing in Ontario, where safety vests have been required in Thoroughbred Racing for more that 17 years. Over the years technology and innovation have produced enhancements in the area of safety. In order to ensure Ontario participants are protected, the Ontario Racing Commission (ORC) approved rule changes in December 2011 to reflect the standards that are now available.
Thoroughbred participants are reminded that effective January 1, 2013 all safety vests and helmets worn while mounted must meet the following standards (ORC TB Rule 14.02.02):
1. American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM 1163)
2. UK Standards (EN-1384 and PAS-015) or
3. Australian /New Zealand Standards (AS/NZ 3838)
1. British Equestrian Trade Association (BETA:2000 Level 1)
2. Euro Norm (EN 13158:2000 Level 1 )
3. American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM F2681-08)
4. Shoe and Allied Trade Research Association (SATRA Jockey Vest Document M6 Issue 3 ) or
5. Australian Racing Board (ARB Standard 1.1998)
The ORC will be working with participants and the suppliers in the roll out of these new requirements. Participants are advised to check their equipment.
Any question regarding the new requirements should be directed to the ORC Stewards.