Woodbine Entertainment Group (WEG) is advising employees and members of the public that a labour disruption may take place on Friday, July 14, 2017, at 12:01 a.m., affecting Woodbine Racetrack, but not Mohawk Racetrack.
The disruption may occur as a result of unsuccessful collective agreement negotiations between Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG) at Woodbine and the Public Service Alliance of Canada, which represents more than 180,000 workers in every province and territory in Canada.
WEG officials say the dispute may have an impact on all employees, horse people and guests who wish to enter the Woodbine Racetrack property, and caution that delays should be expected due to picket lines at the entrances.
They recommend that all horsemen use the Goreway Drive entrance, if possible, and say that additional security has been arranged to ensure activity is conducted in a safe and lawful manner.
They also recommend that horsemen be prepared to show their AGCO licenses upon entrance.
WEG requests that everyone use common sense, patience and good judgement and has provided the following guidelines for anyone approaching picket lines:
• All employees are required to arrive and report to work on time.
• All employees are required to enter and exit the premises via the correct entrances and exits.
• When crossing a picket line, delays can be expected, such as picketers may ask that you respect a few minutes delay before entering the parking lot.
• This is normal in these types of disputes and should be expected. Please remain calm during these times.
• Due to a possible delay, please give yourself extra time to get to work should a labor disruption happen.
• When confronting a picket line and a delay is expected, an alternate route/entrance should be considered.
• DO NOT attempt to drive or force your way through a picket line. This may endanger your own, or someone else’s safety.
• DO NOT enter into any verbal discussions with picketers which could provoke an incident.
• Any employee intimidated/assaulted while crossing the picket lines should report the incident immediately to the Security Office at: Woodbine (416) – 675 – 3993, press 1, then 2219
• Any damage to private property i.e. vehicles, should be reported to Security.
• Security video capabilities will be at entrances and exits to monitor the behaviour.
• Security will be deployed throughout the properties to ensure a safe working environment.