Jessica Springsteen (USA) was the winner of the $35,000 Douglas Elliman 1.45m speed class with Stone Hill Farm’s Davendy S during WEF 7. Beginning on Wednesday, the class was stopped halfway through due to inclement weather and resumed with its remaining entries on Thursday morning.
Fifty entries showed over Anthony D’Ambrosio’s course, which yielded 16 clear rounds. Springsteen showed in the first half of the class on Wednesday afternoon, piloting Davendy S to the winning time of 56.41 seconds. Kristen Vanderveen (USA) and Bull Run’s Faustino de Tili finished second in 57.61 seconds. Samuel Parot (CHI) and Couscous van Orti placed third in 58.99 seconds. Cian O’Connor (IRL) finished fourth riding Ronnoco Jump Ltd.’s Callisto through the timers in 59.21 seconds.
“She was amazing,” Springsteen said of her 14-year-old Belgian Warmblood mare (Kashmir van Schuttershof x Pachat II). “I saw Kristen go, and I saw that she was really fast. I knew that I definitely needed to take a couple of risks, but that is where she is just such a fast horse across the ground and over the fences. She is so much fun in those classes.
“I really wanted to win,” Springsteen continued. “I just tried to do the tightest turns that I could, but she is just one of the fastest horses I have ever ridden on her own, so if I stick to my plan normally I am able to have a good place. I knew there was still half the class to go, but after we went, I was pretty sure that we had it. There was no place I could have gone faster.”
Davendy S lights up in the show ring, but generally has a very calm demeanor.
“I know she looks like a really hot horse when she is in the ring, but actually to ride, she takes a lot of leg,” Springsteen explained. “If you see her just walking around, she does not look like a speed horse. She is so big and sleepy, but when she gets in the ring she gets so excited. She just loves it.”
Also competing in the International Arena on Thursday, Emma Heise (USA) and Old Willow Farms’ Viper Vrombautshoeve Z won the $8,000 Douglas Elliman 1.45m CSI 2* speed class.
The $2,500 Engel & Völkers High Amateur-Owner Jumper speed class concluded the day with a win for Jorge Matte Capdevila and C’Est Beau.
$35,000 Douglas Elliman 1.45m
1. DAVENDY S: 2003 Belgian Warmblood mare by Kashmir van Schuttershof x Pachat II
JESSICA SPRINGSTEEN (USA), Stone Hill Farm: 0/56.41
2. BULL RUN’S FAUSTINO DE TILI: 2005 Belgian Warmblood stallion by Berlin x Darco
KRISTEN VANDERVEEN (USA), Bull Run Jumpers Five LLC: 0/57.61
3. COUSCOUS VAN ORTI: 2002 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Nabab de Reve x Cash
SAMUEL PAROT (CHI), Samuel Parot: 0/58.99
4. CALLISTO: 2007 KWPN gelding by Quasimodo Z x Jokinal de Bornival
CIAN O’CONNOR (IRL), Ronnoco Jump Ltd: 0/59.21
5. IMKE 111: 2008 Belgian Warmblood mare by Der Senaat 111 x Heartbreaker
ABDEL SAID (EGY), AS Sport Horses: 0/60.04
6. MANODIE II H: 2005 Oldenburg mare by Carthago x Zeus
GEORGINA BLOOMBERG (USA), Gotham Enterprizes LLC: 0/61.64
7. RAIA D’HELBY: 2005 Selle Francais mare by Fergar Mail x Papillon Rouge
ADRIENNE STERNLICHT (USA), Starlight Farms LLC: 0/62.36
8. WANNICK WH: 2003 KWPN stallion by Heartbreaker x Joost
CHRISTINE MCCREA (USA), Candy Tribble: 0/64.40
9. ADAMO: 2005 KWPN gelding by Lupicor x Ekstein
MARILYN LITTLE (USA), Team Honor USA LLC: 0/64.46
10. IDEAL DE LA HAISSE: 2008 Belgian Warmblood gelding by Electro x Barring
KARA CHAD (CAN), Torrey Pines Stable: 0/64.91
11. NKH QUANTO: 2006 Holsteiner gelding by Quidam de Revel x Capitol I
CHRISTIAN HEINEKING (GER), October Hill Farm: 0/65.96
12. CASSANDRA: 2008 Swedish Warmblood mare by Caressini L x Cardento
PARIS SELLON (USA), Willow Grace Farms: 0/66.33