Equestrian Canada (EC) is putting the call out to Canadian equestrians willing to lease their horses to Canadian and foreign para-dressage athletes for the Ottawa Dressage Festival (ODF) International Para-Dressage CPEDI 3*, running May 17-20, 2018 in Ottawa, ON.
The event is a crucial stop on the road to qualify for the 2018 FEI World Equestrian Games (WEG), which will be held in Mill Spring, NC in September. Leasing a horse to a para-dressage athlete for the ODF is an amazing opportunity to participate at the highest level of equestrian competition in Canada’s National Capital Region.
Horses with a variety of dressage experience and skills, from walk/trot through Prix St. Georges, are needed. To be considered, horses must:
- Be in good physical health
- Demonstrate a steady, kind, and tolerant temperament
- Have previous show experience
- Be well accustomed to noises and crowds
Any horse considered for lease also needs to be able to perform a true walk and trot, staying round with little work on the part of the rider. An active, rhythmical, and expressive walk is preferred, as is the ability to perform walk pirouettes, lateral work, shoulder-in, travers, and half-passes at the trot.
All horses will also be required to meet the following competition criteria:
- Sound, fit, and able to pass an FEI horse inspection
- Not on any banned substances, as the horse may be subject to FEI drug testing
- Hold a valid vaccination certificate
- Hold a valid FEI passport, or be able to attain one
- Meet further competition eligibility requirements as needed
Horses must be available exclusively to para-dressage athletes beginning May 1, 2018. Pricing, lease arrangements, and training periods will be arranged directly between the horse owner and athlete.
If you have a horse that fits the above requirements that you are willing to lease, please contact EC by April 1, 2018.
To submit your horse for consideration or for more information, please contact:
613-287-1515 ext. 146