Goldencents, an American-bred horse out of the Manitoba-bred dam Golden Works, defended his title in the $1-million Dirt Mile on the opening day of the 31st Breeders’ Cup World Championships, at Santa Anita Park, in Arcadia, California.
The four-year-old son of Into Mischief, bred in Kentucky by Rosecrest Farm and Karyn Pirrello, set a lively pace under Rafael Bejerano and held on gamely down the lane despite drifting in the late stages to score a 1 1/4-length win over Tapiture. Handsome Mike, owned by Canadian J. Paul Reddam, was scratched from the Dirt Mile.
Trained by Leandro Mora, Goldencents has never raced in Canada. His dam, Golden Works, bred in Manitoba by K 5 Stables, posted a record of 2-3-0 from eight career starts at Assiniboia Downs for a modest bankroll of $14,520.
Conquest Typhoon, bred in Ontario by Josham Farms, put in a solid performance to finish fourth in the opening Breeders’ Cup race, the $1-million Juvenile Turf won by Hootenanny.
Trained by Mark Casse for Conquest Stables LLC., Conquest Typhoon rallied resolutely down the lane under Woodbine’s leading rider Patrick Husbands as part of a blanket finish that featured four horses in a show photo.
Conquest Harlanate, bred in Ontario by Windhaven Farms, finished 11th in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf. Trained by Casse with Husbands aboard, Conquest Harlanate earned her Breeder’s Cup berth with a victory in the Grade 2 Natalma Stakes, a Win and You’re In event at Woodbine on September 13.
Unbridled Forever, owned by B.C. native Charles Fipke, finished fifth in the featured Grade 1 $2-million Distaff won by Untapable.
Saturday’s 11-race live card at Woodbine kicks off at 1:05 p.m. featuring the $150,000 Grade 3 Maple Leaf (Race 9) and the $125,000 Display Stakes (Race 4).
Saturday’s Breeders’ Cup races will start from Race 4 (3:05PM ET) on the Santa Anita card. Fans can watch and wager on all the action via HorsePlayer Interactive. Post time for Woodbine’s Saturday evening harness racing card has been pushed back to 7:55 p.m.
Saturday’s Breeders’ Cup races will air on TSN2 (6:00pm to 9:00pm) and on the Horseplayer Interactive TV network.
Canadian connected starters on Saturday include:
GRADE 1 $2-MILLION JUVENILE FILLIES
– Conquest Eclipse – U.S.-based, trained by Mark Casse (Post 4, 4-1)
– Majestic Presence – co-owned by Glen Todd of North American Thoroughbred Horse Company (Post 7, 20-1)
GRADE 1 $2-MILLION FILLY & MARE TURF
– Irish Mission – Ontario-bred multiple Sovereign Award winner (Post 8, 20-1)
GRADE 1 $1-MILLION FILLY AND MARE SPRINT
– Judy the Beauty – Adena Springs Ontario-bred (Post 7, 5-2)
– Leigh Court – Owned by Eugene Melnyk, trained by Josie Carroll (Post 6, 4-1)
GRADE 1 $1-MILLION TURF SPRINT
– Something Extra – Woodbine-based, trained by Gail Cox (Post 8, 20-1, Eurico Rosa da Silva)
GRADE 1 $2-MILLION JUVENILE
– Blue Dancer – Western-Canada based (Post 3, 30-1, Rico Walcott)
– Private Prospect – to be ridden by Woodbine jockey Jesse Campbell (Post 2, 30-1, Jesse Campbell)
GRADE 1 $2-MILLION MILE
– Grand Arch – Woodbine-based, trained by Brian Lynch (Post 1, 20-1)
– Kaigun – co-owned by Toronto native Harvey Swartz (Post 7, 20-1, Patrick Husbands)