Beth Underhill and Count Me In finished ahead of local favourite Mario Deslauriers with close to one second in the jump-off, during the Quebec Original Classic CSI2* at the Bromont Olympic Equestrian Park.
Keep the rhythm
The course designed by Leopoldo Palacios (VEN), comprised 13 obstacles for 16 efforts, including a double and a triple combination required a sustained rhythm from the duos entered. Of the 16 pairs entered, 8 made it to the jump-off including Ali Ramsay & Hermelien VD Hooghoeve, winners of the welcome event last Friday. The first two pairs in the jump-off, Andrew Kocher and Ciana as well as Ali Ramsay & Hermelien VH Hooghoeve, each get a jumping fault, opening the door for the following pairs.
A few tenths of a second
Canada’s Isabelle Lapierre, with her mare Cescha M, execute the first clear jump-off round, but are careful with the time and stop the clock at 44.33 seconds. The pair is bested by Mario Deslauriers & Westbrook, who in turn get beaten by Beth Underhill & Count Me In, who stop the clock at 40.97 seconds, with a clear round.
Nicholas Dello Joio who won the World Cup qualifying Grand Prix on his last visit to Bromont in 2012, goes all in with Paola 233. They get a clear round, but their time, a hair behind Underhill & Count Me in, does not put them in the lead. The following two pairs, Michael Hutchinson (IRL) on Catango & Julia Madigan (CAN) on Farfelu du printemps finish in eighth and ninth place respectively.
Results – Quebec Original Classic
1. Beth Underhill (CAN) / Count Me In 0-0, 40.97
2. Nicholas Dello Joio (USA) / Paola 233 0-0, 40.99
3. Mario Deslauriers (USA) / Westbrook 0-0, 41.87
4. Isabelle Lapierre (CAN) / Cescha M 0-0, 44.33
5. Julia Madigan (CAN) / Farfelu du Printemps 0-4, 40.48
6. Andrew Kocher (USA) / Ciana 0-4, 41.51
7. Ali Ramsay (CAN) / Hermelien VD Hooghoeve 0-4,42.94
8. Michael Hutchinson (IRL) / Catango 0-4,42.94
9. François Lamontagne (CAN) / Vigo Massuere 1, 86
10. Kevin Crosby (CAN) / Sombrero Brimbelles 1, 86.48