Ali Ramsay (CAN) and Hermelien VD Hooghoeve stayed in the lead in the FEI Assante Classic on Friday at the International Bromont.
5 Canadians in the Top 10
28 rider-horse pairs took part in the fifth FEI event of the two weeks of competition at the International Bromont. Ten would make it to the jump-off, including Ali Ramsay who won the Welcome opening event of the first week last year at the International Bromont.
Ali Ramsay and her mare Hermelien VD Hooghoeve (Tangelo Van de Zuuthoeve x Djakarta) had the edge right from the start: in the first round, as the second pair on the course, they executed the first clear round. We had to wait until Mario Deslauriers on Amsterdam 27, seventh pair on the course, to ensure a jump-off. Mario also qualified for the second round with Bardolina 2. They were joined by Susan Horn (CAN) & Lilly Fee, Jonathan McCrea (USA) & Aristoteles V, Fernando Martinez Sommer (MEX) & Cor Bakker, Leslie Howard (USA) & Donna Speciale, Lisa Carlsen (CAN) & Malbec, Cormac Hanley (IRL) & Copain Z as well as Nicholas Dello Joio (USA) & DHI Zulu.
Of the 10 pairs qualified for the jump-off, nine finally tackled the course. First to come back, Ramsay and Hermelien again established the time to beat with a perfect round in 34.64 seconds. They stayed on top of the final standings, and were joined by Nicholas Dello Joio (USA) and DHI Zulu (2nd position) as well as Jonathan McCrea (USA) and Aristoteles V (3rd position) in the top 3.
International Bromont continues Saturday
The International Bromont will begin the second-to-last day of the 2018 edition. The focal events will be the Modified Grand Prix as well as the Gambler’s Choice.
Results – FEI Assante Classic
1. Ali Ramsay (CAN) / Hermelien VD Hooghoeve 0-0, 34.64
2. Nicholas Dello Joio (USA) / DHI Zulu 0-0, 34.88
3. Jonathan McCrea (USA) / Aristoteles V 0-0, 35.37
4. Fernando Martinez Sommer (MEX) / 0-0, 35.76
5. Susan Horn (CAN) / Lilly Fee 0-0, 36.88
6. Mario Deslauriers (CAN) / Amsterdam 27 0-0, 37.34
7. Leslie Howard (USA) / Donna Speciale 0-4, 33.47
8. Cormac Hanley (IRL) / Copain Z 0-8, 35.95
9. Lisa Carlsen (CAN) / Malbec 0-8, 36.01
10. Mario Deslauriers (CAN) / Bardolina 2 0-DNS